Yahoo Science News feed latest items
Later on Thursday afternoon, NASA will hold a press conference announcing a new discovery from its Kepler satellite, a telescope designed to spot planets orbiting other stars. The press conference, which begins at 1:00 p.m. Eastern time, will be livestreamed on the NASA website. There hasn't been much guesswork yet about what the discovery might be, although it's certainly likely to be related to exoplanets, the satellite's main target. Popular Mechanics speculates: "Likely, NASA teamed up with Google to build an algorithm for finding more exoplanets inside that untouched Kepler data, and this Thursday's announcement will reveal the first results.
The rapid growth of Monsanto's new GMO seeds resistant to the controversial herbicide dicamba has revived worries about the company's stranglehold over farming during a period of industry consolidation. Long a producer of dicamba, Monsanto last year introduced genetically-modified cotton and soybean seeds that can resist the weed killer. The products took off, amassing more than 20 percent of US soybean fields and 50 percent of US cotton fields in just two years, according to Monsanto data.
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Loss of water from rocks during drought caused California's Sierra Nevada to rise nearly an inch (2.5 centimeters) in height from October 2011 to October 2015, according to a new NASA study made public Wednesday.
NIH Funding Opportunities
- End-of-Life and Palliative Care Health Literacy: Improving Outcomes in Serious, Advanced Illness (R21 Clinical Trial Optional)
- End-of-Life and Palliative Care Health Literacy: Improving Outcomes in Serious, Advanced Illness (R01 Clinical Trial Optional)
- Human Subjects Mechanistic and Minimal Risk Studies (R21 Clinical Trial Optional)
- NIBIB Exploratory/Developmental Research Grant Program (R21) (Clinical Trial Optional)
- Sleep disorders and circadian clock disruption in Alzheimers disease and other dementias of aging (R01 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)