Yahoo Science News feed latest items
Red Tide Is Killing Marine Life and Scaring Away Tourists in Florida. Here's What to Know About It
Germany has confirmed it will relax some environmental conservation rules to help farmers overcome a sharp rise in animal feed prices after this summer's drought, the agriculture minister said on Wednesday. Agriculture Minister Julia Kloeckner also said she would await official crop figures before deciding on a response to calls for 1 billion euros ($1.13 billion) in crisis state aid requested by German farmers. Kloeckner, a senior member of Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservatives, added she would make a decision about state aid next week when the cabinet is expected to approve the annual harvest report on Aug 22.
Kansas Gov. Jeff Colyer has conceded in the state’s Republican gubernatorial primary, losing by a razor-thin margin to Secretary of State Kris Kobach in a race so close it took a week to determine the winner.
Flights in and out of the Indian tourist hotspot of Kerala were cancelled for three days Wednesday as severe monsoon flooding ravaged the region. At least 39 people have been killed in the past three weeks and more than 50,000 displaced in an area famed for its palm-lined beaches and tea plantations. Authorities have opened the gates of 34 reservoirs as water reached dangerous levels.
Gov. Phil Scott won his party’s primary to seek a second term as governor and will face a former utility executive who on Tuesday became the first transgender candidate to win a major political party’s nomination for governor.
NIH Funding Opportunities
- Limited Competition: RCMI Research Coordination Network (RRCN) (U54 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- NLM Information Resource Grants to Reduce Health Disparities (G08 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- Leveraging Electronic Medical Records for Psychiatric Genetic Research (R01 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- Leveraging Electronic Medical Records for Psychiatric Genetic Research (R01 (Collab) Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- Notice of the Publication of an NIH Proposal to Amend the NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules to Streamline Oversight of Human Gene Transfer Protocols