Yahoo Science News feed latest items
PG&E Corp said in a regulatory filing that it learned on March 20 that the SEC was investigating it in relation to its public disclosures and accounting for losses associated with the 2017 and 2018 Northern California wildfires and the 2015 Butte fire. PG&E, which provides electricity and natural gas to 16 million customers in northern and central California, faces widespread litigation, government investigations and liabilities that could potentially exceed $30 billion because of the fires in 2017 and 2018. The fire last November killed at least 86 people in the deadliest and most destructive blaze in California history.
An effort to end all non-medical exemptions for childhood vaccinations in Maine was in limbo on Thursday after the state Senate voted to amend it to allow parents to keep opting out on religious grounds. The bill had passed the Democratic-controlled state House of Representatives last month, making Maine one of at least seven states considering ending non-medical exemptions amid the worst outbreak of measles in the United States in 25 years. In a close vote, 18 lawmakers in the Democratic-led state Senate supported an amendment to the House bill to retain the religious exemption that exists in state law, while 17 voted against.
As far back as he can remember, Willard Church Jr. has gone out ice fishing well into the month of April, chopping holes that were easily four feet deep into the Kanektok River near his home. "I am a hunter and a fisherman and I have spent my whole life living the subsistence lifestyle," Church, 55, a member of the Yupik Eskimo community, told an AFP team that recently visited the remote village of about 700 people that sits by the Bering Sea and the Kuskokwim Bay. As world leaders and scientists grapple with how best to combat climate change, Alaska's native people -- estimated at about 120,000 and living in some 230 rural communities or regional hubs -- find themselves at the epicenter of a crisis that has forced them to rethink their traditional lifestyle.
NIH Funding Opportunities
- Notice of NIAAA's Participation in PAR-19-162 "Accelerating the Pace of Child Health Research Using Existing Data from the Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD) Study (R01-Clinical Trial Not Allowed) "
- NIH Announces New Centralized Notifications for Unfunded Applications
- Request for Information (RFI): Strategies to Support Acquisition and Use of Biospecimens for Research on Sepsis in Humans
- Notice of NIAAA's Participation in PAR-19-163 "Accelerating the Pace of Child Health Research Using Existing Data from the Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD) Study (R21-Clinical Trial Not Allowed)"
- Notice to Extend the Expiration Date for PAR-18-645 "Research Infrastructure Development for Interdisciplinary Aging Studies (R21/R33 - Clinical Trial Optional)"