Yahoo Science News feed latest items
In September 2012, researchers put a tracking device on a 3,456-pound great white shark and named her Mary Lee. Probably not, says Chris Fischer, who leads ocean research expeditions and was part of the team that caught and tagged her. Mary Lee when she was first captured and tagged on a research vessel.
Is the force with America? The U.S. Military Could Go 'Star Wars': Build Deflector Shields to Stop Laser Weapons? Calling it a “deflector shield,” with its Star Trek connotations, is a clever bit of marketing by BAE, though perhaps not totally accurate. The USS Enterprise’s deflector shields could repel both matter and energy. LDAL, if it works, would be useful against laser weapons but probably not bullets.
It's the sense of familiarity that feels misplaced because you know you haven't experienced the same thing before. For no apparent reason, you feel like you're reliving a past experience. It's called déjà vu, which is French for "already seen," and it happens to an estimated 70% of the population, according to How Stuff Works, with people aged between 15 and 25 years old experiencing it most.
By Tom Polansek CHICAGO (Reuters) - Missouri has issued its first fines over the misuse of a farm chemical in 2016 that went on to be linked in different formulations to widespread U.S. crop damage this year, the state said on Thursday. Authorities fined eight people a total of $145,125 for improperly spraying the chemical known as dicamba, used to kill weeds, in what Missouri called "the first wave of civil penalties issued to applicators," according to a statement. The delay between sprayings last year and the state's action shows how a long process of investigating many complaints about dicamba use is straining resources in farm states.
NIH Funding Opportunities
- End-of-Life and Palliative Care Health Literacy: Improving Outcomes in Serious, Advanced Illness (R21 Clinical Trial Optional)
- End-of-Life and Palliative Care Health Literacy: Improving Outcomes in Serious, Advanced Illness (R01 Clinical Trial Optional)
- Human Subjects Mechanistic and Minimal Risk Studies (R21 Clinical Trial Optional)
- NIBIB Exploratory/Developmental Research Grant Program (R21) (Clinical Trial Optional)
- Sleep disorders and circadian clock disruption in Alzheimers disease and other dementias of aging (R01 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)