Yahoo Science News feed latest items
WASHINGTON (AP) — Opening a new era in cancer care, U.S. health officials on Wednesday approved a breakthrough treatment that genetically engineers patients' own blood cells into an army of assassins to seek and destroy childhood leukemia.
BILLINGS, Mont. (AP) — Wildlife advocates and a Montana Indian tribe have asked a U.S. court to restore protections for grizzly bears in and around Yellowstone National Park so that trophy hunting of the fearsome animals would not be allowed.
Rescued Chimps Under Path of Totality Confused by the Solar Eclipse: 'They Thought It Was Bedtime'
Nine-year-old Luna is hard at play inside a church shelter north of Houston, but it's been an emotional rollercoaster for the Rosales family since a rescue crew guided them to safety through the cold floodwaters engulfing their home. For Arnulfo Rosales, 66, his children and grandchildren, help came at the end of an anxious five-hour wait as Harvey's torrential rains lashed their hometown of New Caney, a town of 20,000 northeast of Houston. Arnulfo's son Juan saw the water rising around their house when he woke up at 7 am Monday.
Researchers have discovered that the oldest wine in the world may have been Italian, after finding traces of 6,000-year-old fermented grapes off the west coast of Sicily. The site was "probably a holy site where offerings were made to the gods", Enrico Greco, a chemist at the University of Catania, told AFP. "The fact that the jars were found in a cave saved them from being buried and allowed the contents to be preserved, even though it has solidified over the centuries," Greco said.
NIH Funding Opportunities
- End-of-Life and Palliative Care Health Literacy: Improving Outcomes in Serious, Advanced Illness (R21 Clinical Trial Optional)
- End-of-Life and Palliative Care Health Literacy: Improving Outcomes in Serious, Advanced Illness (R01 Clinical Trial Optional)
- Human Subjects Mechanistic and Minimal Risk Studies (R21 Clinical Trial Optional)
- NIBIB Exploratory/Developmental Research Grant Program (R21) (Clinical Trial Optional)
- Sleep disorders and circadian clock disruption in Alzheimers disease and other dementias of aging (R01 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)