Yahoo Science News feed latest items
Russia is planning to send paying tourists on the International Space Station out on spacewalks for the first time, an official from the country's space industry said Thursday. "We are discussing the possibility of sending tourists on spacewalks," Vladimir Solntsev, the head of Russian space company Energia, told Russian tabloid Komsomolskaya Pravda. "Market analysts have confirmed this: wealthy people are ready to pay money for this," Solntsev told the paper.
US marine investigators are probing an unusual die-off of minke whales along the US east coast, marking the third such population of large whales in the past two years, officials said Wednesday. A total of 28 minke whales (Balaenoptera acutorostrata) have died since January 2017 in the Atlantic Ocean from Maine to South Carolina, said the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). The deaths, most of which were in the northeast, are more than double the normal yearly death rate of 12 for this population of large, gray whales.
NIH Funding Opportunities
- Request for Information (RFI): Strategies for Enhancing Postdoctoral Career Transitions to Promote Faculty Diversity
- Cancer Prevention, Diagnosis, and Treatment Technologies for Low-Resource Settings (R41/R42 - Clinical Trial Optional)
- Cancer Prevention, Diagnosis, and Treatment Technologies for Low-Resource Settings (R43/R44 - Clinical Trial Optional)
- Notice for the All of Us Research Program Genome Centers (OT2) Funding Announcement and Informational Webinar
- Biomarkers Discovery In Parkinsonism (U01 Clinical Trial Optional)