Yahoo Science News feed latest items
Trump's Lawyer on Michael Flynn: 'Nothing About the Guilty Plea or the Charge Implicates Anyone' Else
Pluto, whether or not you want to call it a planet, is really really far away from the sun—40 times farther away than Earth is—which means it's really really cold. “These objects need to be considered as potential reservoirs of water and life,” lead author Prabal Saxena, a planetary scientist at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, said in a press release. Saxena and his colleagues studied trans-Neptunian objects, a term scientists use to refer to literally anything in our solar system that orbits out past Neptune—probably hundreds of thousands of objects in all.
Two supermassive black holes recently spotted in a picture of the Andromeda galaxy are the closest orbiting pair ever discovered—and could be on course for a catastrophic cosmic collision in as little as 350 years. Andromeda is our closest neighboring galaxy, sitting around 2.5 million light-years away: fairly close, in astronomical terms. Scientists from the University of Washington were studying an unusual object within Andromeda dubbed J0045+41, which they thought to be a special type of star. Another team of scientists had previously identified it as a pair of stars orbiting each other once every 80 days, but the UW team thought something more was going on.
Michael Flynn Led a 'Lock Her Up' Chant at the Republican Convention. Now He's Charged With Lying to the FBI
Dark Matter and Dark Energy Might Not Exist—Potentially Forcing a Rethink of Our Understanding of the Entire Universe
Dark matter and dark energy are mysterious, unknown substances that are thought to make up more than 96 percent of the universe. While we may have never directly seen them, they beautifully explain how stars and galaxies move and how the universe is expanding. An introductory lecture on the subject will typically begin by looking at a pie chart of the mass and energy density of the universe.
NIH Funding Opportunities
- Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and discrete element modeling (DEM) approach for predictions of dry powder inhaler (DPI) drug delivery
- Fogarty HIV Research Training Program for Low-and Middle-Income Country Institutions (D43 Clinical Trial Optional)
- International Bioethics Research Training Program (D43 Clinical Trial Optional)
- Three-Dimensional Approach for Modeling Nasal Mucociliary Clearance via Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Formulation drug product quality attributes in dermal physiologically-based pharmacokinetic models for topical dermatological drug products and transdermal delivery systems