Science RSS Feeds
Flights in and out of the Indian tourist hotspot of Kerala were cancelled for three days Wednesday as severe monsoon flooding ravaged the region. At least 39 people have been killed in the past three weeks and more than 50,000 displaced in an area famed for its palm-lined beaches and tea plantations. Authorities have opened the gates of 34 reservoirs as water reached dangerous levels.
Gov. Phil Scott won his party’s primary to seek a second term as governor and will face a former utility executive who on Tuesday became the first transgender candidate to win a major political party’s nomination for governor.
India will send a manned mission into space by 2022, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced Wednesday in a speech to the nation. "India will send into space -- a man or a woman -- by 2022, before that if possible," Modi said in a marathon address at the Red Fort in New Delhi for the country's Independence Day. The astronaut would be "carrying the national flag," Modi said.
Two Southeast Asian women on trial in Malaysia for the brazen assassination of the North Korean leader’s half-brother could be acquitted Thursday or called to enter their defense in a case that has gripped the world.
It only takes one sleepless night to ruin social interactions and make people feel lonely, a new study showed. "Mother nature took millions of years to perfect our sleep and we just shaved off over an hour to fit our lifestyle," Dr. Matt Walker, founder and director of Center for Human Sleep Science at University of California-Berkeley and lead author of the study told ABC News. To better understand the social effects that poor sleep can create, researchers at the University of California, Berkeley, conducted a series of experiments using brain imaging, paired with surveys that helped rate the participants' loneliness and videos that simulated real-life scenarios.
NIH Funding Opportunities
- Limited Competition: RCMI Research Coordination Network (RRCN) (U54 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- NLM Information Resource Grants to Reduce Health Disparities (G08 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- Leveraging Electronic Medical Records for Psychiatric Genetic Research (R01 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- Leveraging Electronic Medical Records for Psychiatric Genetic Research (R01 (Collab) Clinical Trial Not Allowed)
- Notice of the Publication of an NIH Proposal to Amend the NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant or Synthetic Nucleic Acid Molecules to Streamline Oversight of Human Gene Transfer Protocols