Science RSS Feeds
The Philippines raised the alert level for the country's most active volcano twice in 24 hours Sunday, meaning that a hazardous eruption is possible within days. A bright glow from Mayon volcano's summit crater indicated the start of lava flow, while steam and ash plumes were produced by three steam-driven eruptions, according to the country's volcanology institute. "This means that Mayon is exhibiting relatively high unrest and that magma is at the crater and that hazardous eruption is possible within weeks or even days," the Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) said in a statement.
New image analysis by researchers at SETI indicate that there may be subterranean lava tubes in the polar region of the moon leading to massive underground glaciers, which could provide fuel for a long-term lunar base.
The chief executive of France's Lactalis group on Sunday vowed compensation for victims of salmonella-tainted baby milk, as he revealed that recalls were now under way in 83 countries. Emmanuel Besnier, giving his first interview in nearly 20 years as head of the family-controlled company, told the Journal du Dimanche newspaper that the recall involved more than 12 million packages of Picot, Milumel, Celia and other brands of powdered baby milk. A total of 37 babies have fallen ill in France as a result of the contamination, health authorities said late Friday, along with a case in Spain and a suspected case in Greece, but Besnier said no new cases had been reported since December 8, a week after the recall was announced.
Greece's parliament is expected to approve the medical use of cannabis in the coming weeks, a deputy minister said Sunday, adding that the change would attract investment to the country. "In a few weeks' time, an amendment will be brought to parliament to define the legislative framework for the cultivation and manufacturing of pharmaceutical products based on medical cannabis, which will open the way for Greek and foreign investments," deputy agricultural development minister Yannis Tsironis told AFP. Tsironis said the legalisation of medical cannabis could attract investments of 1.5 to 2 billion euros ( $1.8 t0 2.4 billion), with Greek, Israeli and Canadian companies already expressing interest.
NIH Funding Opportunities
- Notice of Intent to Publish a Funding Opportunity Announcement for National Dental Practice-Based Research Network: Administrative and Resource Center (U19 Clinical Trial Required - Infrastructure )
- Notice of Intent to Publish a Funding Opportunity Announcement for National Dental Practice-Based Research Network: Coordinating Center (U01 Clinical Trial Required - Infrastructure )
- Notice of Change in Bench Testing Therapeutic/Indication Pairing Strategies (UG3/UH3) (PAR-17-465)
- Notice of Modifications for PAR-18-244 "Collaborative Innovation Award, Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) Program (U01 Clinical Trial Optional)"
- Correction to the Application Forms Package issued for PAR-17-338 "Continuation of Existing Grant Based Epidemiology Cohort Studies in Heart, Lung, Blood, and Sleep Diseases and Disorders (U01-Clinical Trials Not Allowed)"