Science RSS Feeds
BOISE, Idaho (AP) — The U.S. government said an Idaho family is to blame for any injuries it alleges a boy received after he was doused with cyanide by a predator-killing trap that a federal worker mistakenly placed near their home.
Spanish police said Wednesday they had dismantled Europe's biggest illegal turtle and tortoise farm, seizing over 1,100 of the animals, including several highly endangered species. Officers arrested two German men suspected of operating the farm on the holiday island of Mallorca, as well as a Spanish owner of an exotic pet store in Barcelona who sold the animals raised on the farm, police said in a statement. A "land turtle" is more commonly called a tortoise in English.
How did the turtle get its shell? It sounds like the start of a fable, but it's something scientists have wondered for years, and new fossil research is providing some clues. Relatively few fossils of early turtles have been found, leaving it a mystery how the creature developed its unique features, and even which ancestors they evolved from.
BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — Opponents of an oil refinery planned near Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota are imploring state regulators to give them a chance to explore whether the developer is being truthful about the project's size.
The Michael Cohen and Paul Manafort Cases Renew Questions About President Trump's Legal Powers. Here's What We Know
Nicknamed by Oxford University scientists, Denisova 11 -- her official name -- was at least 13 when she died, for reasons unknown. "There was earlier evidence of interbreeding between different hominin, or early human, groups," said lead author Vivian Slon, a researcher at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology. Denny's surprising pedigree was unlocked from a bone fragment unearthed in 2012 by Russian archeologists at the Denisova Cave in the Altai Mountains of Siberia.
NIH Funding Opportunities
- Notice of Expiration of PA-18-471 "Innovative Questions in Symptom Science and Genomics (R15 Clinical Trial Not Allowed)"
- Advance Notice: Streamlining the Certifications and Representations Process and Phasing out the SF-424B
- NIDCR Mentoring Network to Support a Diverse Dental, Oral and Craniofacial Research Workforce (UE5 Clinical Trials Not Allowed)
- Limited Competition: Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) Program: Exploratory Collaborative Innovation Awards (R21 Clinical Trial Optional)
- Limited Competition: Clinical and Translational Science Award (CTSA) Program: Collaborative Innovation Award, (U01 Clinical Trial Optional)